Arlington Public Schools re-open for classes on Tuesday, September 8th and the first day will feature a special guest for one Arlington school. President Obama will be giving a national back-t0-school addres at Wakfefield High School. The speech will be broadcast live on C-SPAN and the White House Web site. The school was apparently chosen for the speech, intended to motivate students to work hard, set educational goals and take personal responsibility for their learning, because of its history of success with disadvantaged students.
The following message from the Arlington County Police Department highlights road closures for President Obama’s visit to Wakefield High School on Tue, Sept. 8.
“FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 4, 2009
MEDIA CONTACT: Det. Crystal Nosal, 703-228-4331
TRAFFIC ALERT: Presidential Visit Road Closures
ARLINGTON, VA. – The Arlington County Police Department will close roads
around Wakefield High School on Tuesday, September 8, for a school visit
by President Obama.
The following road closures/detours will take effect at 9 a.m.:
* Traffic coming from South George Mason Drive on South
Dinwiddie Street will be diverted at South 14th Street to King Street
(school buses will be allowed to proceed to the school).
* Traffic on Chesterfield Road from Claremont Elementary will be
diverted south on South Buchanan Street (school buses will be allowed to
proceed to school).
* Traffic on Chesterfield Road from King Street will be diverted
to South Dinwiddie Street towards Walter Reed Drive.
* Traffic on South Dinwiddie from Walter Reed Drive will be
diverted to Chesterfield Road towards King Street.
* Pedestrian and vehicle traffic will be not allowed in the rear
of the school (the football stadium side).
* Westbound traffic on South Buchanan, South Columbus, and South
Culpeper Streets from Walter Reed Drive will be closed at Chesterfield
The following parking restrictions will be in place from 6 a.m. to 3
* Parking will be restricted on Chesterfield Road on both sides
between South Buchanan Street to the Chesterfield/Dinwiddie traffic
* Parking will be restricted on South Dinwiddie Street between
South George Mason Drive and Chesterfield Road.”